tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Akbar Thanakalacheruvu <Akb...@sumtotalsystems.com>
Subject Frequent tomcat outages
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 21:36:11 GMT
Hi

We are using Tomcat 7.0.62 (with JVM version 1.7.0_79-b15) in our production servers. This
web server has 16 GB RAM and out of which we allocated 12 GB RAM (xms and xmx) to tomcat (through
Tomcat7w.exe).
When I monitor tomcat manager application, I see that "CMS old Gen" is increasing minute to
minute and it is reaching to 99% (11 GB) in less than 12 hrs.

I am not sure why this memory is not clearing out. Are there any settings that you can suggest
which can help this "CMS old Gen" to be under control?
I see lot many "OutOfMemory" errors in Tomcat logs which were caused by our Java application(which
is a 3rd party application). I tried to take heapdump using the below command, but it failed
saying "insufficient memory" error.

Command: jmap -dump:format=b,file=snapshot.jmap process-pid

Not sure how to proceed further to get out of these "OutOfMemory" errors. Please help.

-Akbar