tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Datta, Abir - Ealing" <ada...@wiley.com>
Subject Classloading performance problems, Tomcat 8 upgrade from tomcat 6
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2015 16:58:44 GMT
Hi,

Background

Application server has been upgraded from tomcat 6 to tomcat 8. We are experiencingperformance
issues in transactions which involve XML processing using DOM4J and xerces api. The application
uses dom4j-1.6.1.jar and xercesImpl-2.10.0.jar. There has been no change in the application
which was deployed in tomcat 6 to the application deployed in tomcat 8.

Problem

We use Dynatrace to monitor our application. We have seen that in tomcat 8, the time taken
for classloading api has increased significantly, leading to performance degradation. This
tomcat 8 classloading time and api breakdown leading to classloading<http://i.stack.imgur.com/zblrc.jpg>
shows the time taken by the classloading api in Tomcat 8 and this shows what was happening
in tomcat 6<http://i.stack.imgur.com/LOk5e.jpg>.

>From the above pics, we can see that Classloading is invoked from the xerces apis(Xml
Processing in the pic), so the transactions using the xerces api have shown performance degradation.

Please help in understanding why the classloading times have increased in tomcat 8 and how
to get rid of this problem in tomcat8.

Thanks.?

John Wiley & Sons Limited is a private limited company registered in England with registered
number 641132.
Registered office address: The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom.
PO19 8SQ.