tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Barrow, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Bar...@viracoribt.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Upgrades Ignoring Existing Installs
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 20:43:19 GMT
What if there was a previous version already installed in the default folder when a newer executable
was fired off in silent mode. Would it recognize that (stop the service, install newer version,
retain settings, etc) or would it go haywire since it wasn't built to do upgrades?

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:09 PM
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Tomcat Upgrades Ignoring Existing Installs

Jonathan,

On 11/11/15 4:15 PM, Barrow, Jonathan wrote:
> We currently run Tomcat v7 in our environment. We use Shavlik Protect
> as our patching utility.
>
> On all of our application servers we dedicate the C: drive to the
> Windows OS then we add an E: drive for all additional program
> installations such as SQL, Tomcat, etc. So, we have a decent amount of
> servers with Tomcat 7 installed on the E: drive.
>
> When we scan these servers with Shavlik Protect, it is seeing that we
> have Tomcat security patches missing, for instance we have 7.0.63
> installed now and it’s showing that we’re missing the latest 7.0.65
> patch. The problem is when we push this patch using Shavlik Protect
> (which I guess uses a quiet mode) the Tomcat installer isn’t honoring
> our existing install on E: drive and it installs the latest version in
> the default path on C: which messes things up.
>
> Is this a known issue with the installer running in quiet mode? This
> seems to be the only application (out of hundreds) that we can’t patch
> because of this sort of installer bug.

The Tomcat installer doesn't care about any other Tomcats installed: it assumes you want to
install a new version in a new location. It doesn't detect old versions and attempt any upgrade.
Instead, you get the new version in the new location.

The installer can be told where to install. You just have to tell it whee you want to install
it. I'm no expert on the Tomcat Windows installer, but I suspect when in "quiet" mode, you
can easily specify the target installation location.

-chris