tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nick Childs <nchi...@ramsoft.com>
Subject Tomcat Conflicting with Group Policy Client
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2015 04:19:42 GMT
Tomcat Version: 6.0.39

Operating System: Server 2012 R2 Standard

Configuration: We are utilizing Tomcat as part of a Pentaho deployment - Tomcat is utilized
for Pentaho's Data Integration and Business Analytics services.
within the current version of our proprietary Medical Imaging software. The integration works
well, but we have spent months struggling to identify the cause of a major conflict between
the PostgreSQL/Tomcat integration and group policy client in windows domain environments.
Whenever the PostgreSQL and Tomcat Apache (Pentaho Data Integration) services are running,
we begin to see 1 hour + reboot times and gpupdate failures due to the group policy client
just hanging for long periods of time with no explanation. If only Pentaho is running, no
problem is experienced. If only Tomcat is running, no problem is experienced - it is only
when we have both running/communicating the Group Policy updates begin to fail.

We have enabled all known debugging in Group Policy, PostgreSQL, Pentaho, and Tomcat, performed
xBootMgr traces, performed Process Monitor analysis, and Packet Captures, but have been unable
to determine the cause of the conflict. We are also working with Microsoft, Pentaho, and PostgreSQL
independently to try and flush out the culprit. After spending weeks analyzing and reviewing
our development team's internal notes, I have become fairly confident that the root cause
of this problem is related to the way that we deployed Tomcat, and the way that Tomcat/PostgreSQL
communicate with each other, but I have not found solid proof that actually indicates this
yet.

I have learned a lot about how PostgreSQL/Tomcat are functioning in this environment over
the last week, but I am not part of the team that deployed this, and am certainly not an expert
on Pentaho, PostgreSQL, or Tomcat. I have been collecting a list of debug error/warnings from
the Tomcat logs over the last few days (attached), and I am hoping someone who is an expert
on this stuff can possibly review this list of errors, provide an explanation/priority for
each, and answer the following questions:

1. Are there any known conflicts with Tomcat and GroupPolicy in Windows domain environments?
Required Configurations? Workarounds?
3. Are there any special debugging options or monitoring tools that we could use to get more
information about what Tomcat is doing during the time periods that Group Policy Client is
hung? The built-in logging is not helping us.
4. Do you have any suggestions or options that we can try to see if our behavior changes?

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help.

Regards,

Nick Childs
Information Technology Manager
[logo]
9480 Utica Avenue, Suite 612
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Phone: 909.481.5800 x115
Cell: 909.717.4078
Skype: nchilds.ramsoft
Email: nchilds@ramsoft.com<mailto:nchilds@ramsoft.com>

Follow Us On:

[youtube]<http://www.youtube.com/user/RamSoftInc>  [facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/RamSoft.Inc>
  [twitter] <https://twitter.com/RamSoft_Info>   [linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/ramsoft>
  [blog] <http://www.ramsoft.com/category/blog/>

Please visit our websites at:
www.RamSoft.com<http://www.ramsoft.com/>
www.ReadFromAnywhere.com<http://www.readfromanywhere.com/>

[Email signature footer RSNA2015]<https://www.ramsoft.com/events/>

Please contact support using: https://www.ramsoft.com/support/support-overview/
(Support emails may not receive a timely response and are not HIPAA compliant)

THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION AND TRADE SECRETS OF RAMSOFT
INC. AND RAMSOFT USA, INC. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR DISCLOSURE IS PROHIBITED.