tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat simple tcp cluster doesn't work on switching browser
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:00:45 GMT
On 16.11.2015 11:36, Amit Rawat wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm observing some strange behaviour between two instances of apache-tomcat-7.0.41 running
on the same server. Sessions are shared between the servers on multiple logins/logouts on
the same browser , but when i switch browsers , the session sharing stops .

> I have posted a question on stack overflow where you can find more details on what I
have tried & my observations :

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33546555/tomcat-simple-tcp-cluster-doesnt-work-on-switching-browser
>
>   Any help would be appreciated.

Off the top of my head, I would say
- a "session" saved on the server, is identified by a "session-id" (some kind of large
alphanumeric string, unique)
- to allow a browser to re-connect to the same session during several interactions, this
session-id is initially sent to the browser, contained in a cookie
- whenever the browser interacts with the same server/cluster, it resends this cookie, and

this is what allows the server to re-connect this browser to the saved session

- of course, if you switch browsers, the new browser does not have that cookie. So it does

not send it to the server/cluster, and it gets a new session, with a different session-id.

Or did I misunderstand your explanation of what happens ?