tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Fwd:
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:07:22 GMT
On 12.11.2015 10:17, Yuval Schwartz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Mark Eggers <its_toasted@yahoo.com.invalid>
> wrote:

>> Yuval,
>>
>> On 11/11/2015 8:34 AM, Yuval Schwartz wrote:
>>> Hello Mark,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply. I am interested in finding where the
>>> Document Root is for my application ("applicationName"). As I
>>> understand, since my Catatlina_Home = "c:\tomcat" and the "<host>"
>>> tag in the server.xml specifies "appbase='webapps'", it should be
>>> under c:\tomcat\webapps...but it is not.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>

>> And it will only be there if you actually deploy the WAR file to
>> Tomcat (and unpackWARs is set to true).
>>
>> It may be in a different directory if you use a context file. This is
>> how NetBeans operates. It may not even exist (if unpackWARs is set to
>> false).
>>
>> What are you doing that requires knowledge of Document Root? BTW,
>> document root is really an Apache HTTPD concept, and not an Apache
>> Tomcat concept.
>>

> I just want to place a favicon in the document root.
> How can I do this?
> Again, the default tomcat favicon was shown up until (I think) when I
> changed one of my projects' context path from "applicationName" to "/".
> Since then, the favicon has disappeared and I would like to see it again
> (and to have a better understanding of these things since I hope to deploy
> to a web server in the coming months).

Maybe this will help your basic understanding :
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_make_my_web_application_be_the_Tomcat_default_application.3F

And maybe additionally, a comparison with Apache httpd :
Under Apache httpd, there isn't really a "default application", but the top of the URL
space (what you get when you request a URL such as "http://hostname/") is defined by the
DocumentRoot directive in the webserver configuration file.
(And by default, it is something on disk like : ../Apache2/htdocs/).

Under Tomcat, things are a bit different : there is not really a "DocumentRoot"; instead,

there are multiple "web applications", all equal and at the same logical level, each one
of them defined separately in its own sub-directory of (tomcat_directory)/webapps/.

Among those equal webapps, one is a little bit more equal than the others however, and
acts as the "default webapp" (what a client gets when it requests the URL
"http://tomcat_hostname/" (*) : that is the application located at
"(tomcat_directory)/webapps/ROOT/" (capitals important).

(*) or any other URL which Tomcat cannot clearly map to another webapp