tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Classloading performance problems, Tomcat 8 upgrade from tomcat 6
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 17:18:33 GMT
On 06/11/2015 16:15, Datta, Abir - Ealing wrote:
> Could you please suggest something in TOMCAT 8 which might be leading to the problem
mentioned below.

Define "increased significantly".

A simple test case that demonstrates the issue would also help.

Mark

> Thanks,
> Abir

issues in transactions which involve XML processing using DOM4J and xerces api. The application
uses dom4j-1.6.1.jar and xercesImpl-2.10.0.jar. There has been no change in the application
which was deployed in tomcat 6 to the application deployed in tomcat 8.

>> Problem
>>
>> We use Dynatrace to monitor our application. We have seen that in tomcat 8, the time
taken for classloading api has increased significantly, leading to performance degradation.
This tomcat 8 classloading time and api breakdown leading to classloading<http://i.stack.imgur.com/zblrc.jpg>
shows the time taken by the classloading api in Tomcat 8 and this shows what was happening
in tomcat 6<http://i.stack.imgur.com/LOk5e.jpg>.

>> From the above pics, we can see that Classloading is invoked from the xerces apis(Xml
Processing in the pic), so the transactions using the xerces api have shown performance degradation.

>> Please help in understanding why the classloading times have increased in tomcat
8 and how to get rid of this problem in tomcat8.