tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Booth <s.bo...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Making fail-over work with PermGen errors
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2015 15:26:10 GMT

> Memory-related errors are always problematic.
>
> Do you have any instrumentation/monitoring to check the liveness of your
> Tomcat nodes? Can it detect the OOME condition? If so, you should be
> able to notify the load-balancer that something had gone wrong. I'm
> unsure of how to do it with mod_proxy_ajp, but mod_jk can be
> re-configured externally e.g. by calling curl with a specially-crafted
> URL[1].

Yes I think thats the route we are going to go down. Actually
re-analysing the problem I think the load balancer might have
successfully failed over but because the dead node was not noticed it
hung around in a blocked state until the node was needed.

			Stephen

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.