tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jose María Zaragoza <demablo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question for posgresq, and jdbc.jar placement.
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:22:05 GMT
> Ognjen,
>
> On 10/22/15 9:10 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
>> Jose & Chris,
>>
>> On 21.10.2015 20:47, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Jose,

>>> +1
>>
>> Are you willing to elaborate why do you prefer $CATALINA_HOME instead of
>> $CATALINA_BASE?
>>
>> I don't have multiple Tomcat instances running, but I still split
>> $CATALINA_HOME and $CATALINA_BASE to different directories in order to
>> make Tomcat upgrades easier. Everything that is different from original
>> installation goes to $CATALINA_BASE (bin/setenv.sh, conf/*, logs,
>> webapp, etc... as well as additional jars including lib/(jdbc).jar. Thus
>> when I upgrade Tomcat and change $CATALINA_HOME I don't have to think
>> about additional jars.
>
> Our build process auto-builds CATALINA_BASE and so it's (marginally)
> more convenient to have it in CATALINA_HOME. We also have 4 applications
> running on each server from the same CATALINA_HOME and different
> CATALINA_BASEs, but they all use the same JDBC driver.
>
> IMHO, it doesn't matter which one you use. I would have +1'd Jose
> whichever one he said.

Cool !

>Honestly, CATALINA_BASE is probably much better,
> since it won't interfere with other applications that might not need the
> driver, or might require a different version, etc.

Honestly I've never needed to use CATALINA_BASE
But I 've a question

every instance uses only its CATALINA_BASE directories or there is any
kind of delegation hierachy for libraries ?

For example,if my webapp doesn't find a jar file on $CATALINA_BASE/lib
, doest it search on $CATALINA_HOME/lib ?

Regards