tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: 80ms delay switching between worker threads
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 08:38:37 GMT
On 30.10.2015 01:03, Farzad Panahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using tomcat 8.0.23 to terminate my websocket connections. I was
> looking at my trace logs and noticed that when tomcat worker thread
> responsible for processing websocket messages switches to a different
> thread, there is about 80ms delay. In my OnMessage implementation I
> let the work done for each message by thread from the executor service
> thread pool. So onMsg method supposed to return immediately.
> Here is the OnMessage implementation and trace log messages. Any ideas
> what is causing that delay?

Come on, let's be a bit humane here.

According to : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_%28Orders_of_magnitude%29
tomcat here thus switches threads in less than the blink of an eye.
Considering that most tomcats out there already process dozens of requests per second, day

in, day out, without any holidays ever, with end-user clients that they barely know, don't

you think that they can be allowed this slight pause between conversations ?

Also, for the method supposed to return "immediately" : the (Google) definition of
"immediately" says "here and now, this very minute". Surely 80 ms is well within the specs

then ?

After all, websocket is an /asynchronous/ protocol.