tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: ClientAbortException: java.io.IOException: Failed to send AJP message
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:23:16 GMT
On 27.10.2015 10:46, Yogesh Patel wrote:
> Ok Thanks,
>
> My Tomcat version is : 7.0.47
>
> Error stack trace is below:
>
> "
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke:Line 211 -
> ClientAbortException:  java.io.IOException: Failed to send AJP message
> 	at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:406)
> 	at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.append(ByteChunk.java:342)
> 	at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.writeBytes(OutputBuffer.java:431)
> 	at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.write(OutputBuffer.java:419)
> 	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteOutputStream.write(CoyoteOutputStream.java:91)
> 	at
>
> "

Thanks, much more readable.

Previously, you wrote :
"In our case user is downloading the document and got message like "document
is deleted or moved" and tomcat has log like "ClientAbortException:
java.io.IOException: Failed to send AJP message""

But, the error message above still means, at the bottom, that Tomcat is trying to still
send some bytes to the client, but the connection with the client is not there anymore, so

it cannot send this..

The connection is as follows :

browser <-- (1) HTTP(S) --> Apache httpd + proxy module <-- (2) AJP --> <Tomcat
AJP
Connector> + <Tomcat> + <Tomcat application>.

where "proxy module" is either mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp.

So we have to assume that :
- when Tomcat + application writes to the client "document has moved..", the whole
connection (1+2) is still there (because the client sees the message)
- but by the time Tomcat writes this error to its logfile, the AJP connection (2) between

Tomcat and Apache httpd has been dropped;
It is dropped by the proxy module within Apache; and this is probably because the
corresponding HTTP connection (1) between the browser and Apache httpd has been dropped.
And this is probably - as someone else already mentioned - because in the meantime, the
human at the browser side has decided to click away onto another page.

Humans are relatively slow in computer terms. So if they manage to click somewhere else
between the moment at which they receive the part about the document having been moved,
and whatever else the Tomcat application is still trying to send to them afterward, there

must be a considerable delay somewhere at the application level, between the moment it
sends the "document moved" response part, and the moment it tries to send some additional

response part.
That is probably what you should be looking at here : what is it that it cannot send
anymore, and why is it that there is such a delay between the "document moved" part and
this second part. What is the application doing in the meantime ?

Of course, the problem, if it is occasional, could also be due to a bad network connection

somewhere..

> On 27 October 2015 at 14:59, André Warnier (tomcat) <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Yogesh,
>>
>> 1) please follow the rules of this list, and don't "top-post" :
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users  #6
>> 2) please follow the rules of this list, and post your messages as plain
>> text :
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users #7
>>
>> As you can see below, what you are sending comes here as an unreadable
>> blob, and that makes it all the more difficult and demotivating for anyone
>> wanting to help you.
>>

>> On 27.10.2015 06:47, Yogesh Patel wrote:
>>
>>> Tomcat 7:
>>>
>>> INFO org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/cms][
>>> ajp-apr-10161-exec-282][2015-10-20 10:02:59,673]-
>>> org.apache.catalina.core.
>>> StandardWrapperValve.invoke:Line 211 - ClientAbortException: java.io.
>>> IOException: Failed to send AJP message at org.apache.catalina.connector..
>>> OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:406) at
>>> org.apache.tomcat.util
>>> .buf.ByteChunk.append(ByteChunk.java:342) at
>>> org.apache.catalina.connector.
>>> OutputBuffer.writeBytes(OutputBuffer.java:431) at org.apache.catalina.
>>> connector.OutputBuffer.write(OutputBuffer.java:419) at
>>> org.apache.catalina.
>>> connector.CoyoteOutputStream.write(CoyoteOutputStream.java:91) at com.os..
>>> gfnactions.contentmanager.document.documentDownload.
>>> finalDocumentDownloadProcess(documentDownload.java:140) at sun.reflect.
>>> GeneratedMethodAccessor8388.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.
>>> DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
>>> at
>>> java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invokeAction(DefaultActionInvocation.java:450) at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invokeActionOnly(
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.java:289) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:252) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:189) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.
>>> apache.struts2.interceptor.DeprecationInterceptor.intercept(
>>> DeprecationInterceptor.java:41) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.
>>> apache.struts2.interceptor.debugging.DebuggingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> DebuggingInterceptor.java:256) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.DefaultWorkflowInterceptor.doIntercept(
>>> DefaultWorkflowInterceptor.java:167) at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.
>>> MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:98) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.ValidationInterceptor.
>>> doIntercept(ValidationInterceptor.java:265) at org.apache.struts2.
>>> interceptor.validation.AnnotationValidationInterceptor.doIntercept(
>>> AnnotationValidationInterceptor.java:68) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>>
>>> interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:
>>> 98) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor..
>>> ConversionErrorInterceptor.intercept(ConversionErrorInterceptor.java:138)
>>> at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor..
>>> ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(ParametersInterceptor.java:249) at com..
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(
>>> MethodFilterInterceptor.java:98) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(
>>> ParametersInterceptor.java:249) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.
>>> MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:98) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.StaticParametersInterceptor
>>> .intercept(StaticParametersInterceptor.java:191) at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.
>>> apache.struts2.interceptor.MultiselectInterceptor.intercept(
>>> MultiselectInterceptor.java:73) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.
>>>
>>> apache.struts2.interceptor.CheckboxInterceptor.intercept(CheckboxInterceptor
>>> .java:91) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.
>>> FileUploadInterceptor.intercept(FileUploadInterceptor.java:252) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ModelDrivenInterceptor.
>>> intercept(ModelDrivenInterceptor.java:100) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ScopedModelDrivenInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ScopedModelDrivenInterceptor.java:141) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ChainingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ChainingInterceptor.java:145) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.PrepareInterceptor.doIntercept(
>>> PrepareInterceptor.java:171) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.
>>> MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:98) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.I18nInterceptor.intercept(
>>> I18nInterceptor.java:139) at
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
>>> .invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at
>>> org.apache.struts2.interceptor.
>>> ServletConfigInterceptor.intercept(ServletConfigInterceptor.java:164) at

>>> AliasInterceptor.java:193) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:189) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at
>>> com.os.
>>> interceptor.Security.invoke(Security.java:128) at com.os.interceptor.
>>> Security.intercept(Security.java:295) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.
>>> apache.struts2.interceptor.DeprecationInterceptor.intercept(
>>> DeprecationInterceptor.java:41) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ConversionErrorInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ConversionErrorInterceptor.java:138) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(
>>> ParametersInterceptor.java:249) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.
>>> MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:98) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.
>>> doIntercept(ParametersInterceptor.java:249) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>>
>>> interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:
>>> 98) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.
>>> MultiselectInterceptor.intercept(MultiselectInterceptor.java:73) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.CheckboxInterceptor.intercept(
>>> CheckboxInterceptor.java:91) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.PrepareInterceptor.doIntercept(
>>> PrepareInterceptor.java:171) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.
>>> MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:98) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.ServletConfigInterceptor.
>>> intercept(ServletConfigInterceptor.java:164) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:189) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ChainingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ChainingInterceptor.java:145) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.
>>> apache.struts2.impl.StrutsActionProxy.execute(StrutsActionProxy.java:54)
>>> at
>>>
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionChainResult.execute(ActionChainResult.java:233)
>>> at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.executeResult(
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.java:371) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:275) at com.
> [...]
>>> com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.AliasInterceptor.intercept(
>>> AliasInterceptor.java:193) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:189) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at
>>> com.os.
>>> interceptor.GriffinSecurity.intercept(GriffinSecurity.java:86) at com.
>>>
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.
>>> java:246) at com.os.interceptor.Security.invoke(Security.java:128) at
>>> com.os
>>> .interceptor.Security.intercept(Security.java:849) at com.opensymphony.
>>> xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at
>>> com.os.interceptor.VirusSecurityInterceptor.intercept(
>>> VirusSecurityInterceptor.java:41) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
> [...]
>>> ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:189) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at com.
>>> opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ChainingInterceptor.intercept(
>>> ChainingInterceptor.java:145) at com.opensymphony.xwork2.
>>> DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:246) at org.
>>> apache.struts2.impl.StrutsActionProxy.execute(StrutsActionProxy.java:54)
>>> at
>>>
>>> org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.serviceAction(Dispatcher.java:562)
>>> at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.ExecuteOperations.executeAction(
>>> ExecuteOperations.java:77) at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.filter.
>>>
>>> StrutsPrepareAndExecuteFilter.doFilter(StrutsPrepareAndExecuteFilter.java:99)
>>> at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(
>>> ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) at
>>> com.os.
>>> filter.DisableUrlSessionFilter.doFilter(DisableUrlSessionFilter.java:106)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(
>>> ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) at org.apache.catalina.core.
>>> ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) at org.
>>>
>>> apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:
>>> 205) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(
>>> StandardContextValve.java:123) at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.
>>> AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472) at
>>> org.apache.catalina.
>>> core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171) at org.apache.
>>> catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99) at org..
>>> apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:947) at
>>> org
>>> .apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:
>>> 118) at org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve.invoke(
>>> JvmRouteBinderValve.java:219) at
>>> org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.ReplicationValve
>>> .invoke(ReplicationValve.java:333) at org.apache.catalina.connector.
>>> CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:408) at org.apache.coyote.ajp.
>>> AjpAprProcessor.process(AjpAprProcessor.java:197) at org.apache.coyote.
>>>
>>> AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589)
>>> at org.apache.tomcat.util.net
>>> .AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.
>>> java:1852) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(
>>> ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$
>>> Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615) at
>>> java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:
>>> 745) Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed to send AJP message at org.
>>> apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProcessor.output(AjpAprProcessor.java:294) at org.
>>> apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProcessor$SocketOutputBuffer.doWrite(
>>> AbstractAjpProcessor.java:1124) at org.apache.coyote.Response.doWrite(
>>> Response.java:505) at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.