tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: maxFileSize
Date Sat, 03 Oct 2015 14:23:36 GMT

Jamie,

On 10/2/15 11:23 AM, Jamie Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Christopher Schultz <
>> Are you trying to get this value from application code using
>> standard APIs, or are you trying to locate the value from within
>> something like a Valve, which is Tomcat-specific?
>
> *Anywhere* is fine with me.
>
> I'm having some trouble with file uploads in an app. I'm asking
> about it in the language's (Lucee's) forums, and people seem to be
> hung up on the idea that it's a Tomcat setting (specifically this
> maxFileSize setting) -- they're claiming it's got a default of 50MB
> that I need to increase, but I'm seeing no evidence of such a
> default. (There are apps in the wild, including the manager app,
> which have a 50MB limit *specified in web.xml*, but I can find no
> evidence that Tomcat, itself, has such a default.)

Tomcat has a couple of defaults, but only one of them is Tomcat-specific
:

<Connector> maxPostSize - default is 2MiB
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html

If you are using Java Servlet 3.0 multipart upload, then your file
limits may be specified in web.xml like this:

<servlet>
  <multipart-config>
    <location>/tmp</location>
    <max-file-size>20848820</max-file-size>
    <max-request-size>418018841</max-request-size>
    <file-size-threshold>1048576</file-size-threshold>
  </multipart-config>
</servlet>
https://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/tutorial/doc/gmhal.html

The spec-defined limits for the max-file-size and max-request-size are
both "unlimited" and the default for file-size-threshold is 0 bytes
(always store the file on disk).

You can also define these limits using an @MultipartConfig annotation
on the code.

I'm not sure which "wins" if these two are in conflict, but I would
hope that the web.xml-defined values would win, since that doesn't
require a re-compile of the source to modify them.

Lastly, you may have some application-defined limits. Of course, we
know nothing about those.

But Tomcat has no magical 50MiB limit on anything. (Except for
file-uploads specifically for the manager application.)

- -chris