tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Frederik Nosi <frederik.n...@postecom.it>
Subject Re: Tomcat 8 reliability/performance on Windows 2008 R2 Server vs. RHEL/CentOS
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2015 20:10:53 GMT
Christopher,

> Frederik,
>
> On 10/2/15 12:29 PM, Frederik Nosi wrote:

>>> AstroGrep!  http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/
>> Actually tail and other shell commands would be another heavy miss
>> for me, it was at the times i had to manage stuff on Windows years
>> ago. I got used to install Cygwin as first step in those times:
>>
>> https://www.cygwin.com/
> There are also the win32 builds of GNU tools, but they all seem to run
> terribly slowly. I think it's because the standard C API is probably
> implemented using the win32 API so there's a layer of indirection
> around a lot of things.

I know i know ... horror stories ...

> Cygwin is an option, but it's always ... just not the same. It also
> seems sluggish and things get really bizarre with path names and
> stuff. Some tools work well with the path insanity and others fail
> horribly.

I do have to support java applications on unix where you can find inside:

C:\...\Documents\... \Someone

..

So i know.

Anyway, although slow at least make you actually grep / tail and such. I
really cant understand how one can check logs under win, but maybe
that's me.

All this though, has little to do with Window's kernel, it's the
userspace that IMHO is not adequate.