tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Björn Raupach <raup...@me.com>
Subject SSL and Virtual Hosting
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:27:59 GMT
Dear group,

it would be nice if anyone knows, if my planned setup is going to work.

At the moment we are having two services (web apps) at two different machines and hostnames.
Lets say bob.example.com and alice.example.com

bob.example.com runs without SSL and deploys the web app at the root context. We just throw
a ROOT.war in /webapps.

alice.example.com needs SSL at all times. It currently does not run with the root context
but we would like to. So another ROOT.war. We have an SSL cert for alice.example.com

I want both applications to run on a single Tomcat instance with Virtual Hosting. Virtual
Hosting with Tomcat that is. I am comfortable with setting up Virtual Hosting, but I am just
not sure about the SSL part. Does the choice between IP-based or Hostname matter? bob.example.com
might need SSL support in the future.

We are using Amazon AWS if that is important. So I could get another Elastic IP. We are working
with the latest Apache Tomcat 8 and the latest JDK on the server machines.

Sorry if this is not 100% Tomcat related.

Thanks for taking the time!

with kind regards,
Björn