tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: heap thrashing
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 16:24:18 GMT
> From: Leo Donahue [mailto:donahulf2@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: heap thrashing

> I see this topic come up from time to time on the list.  Can someone point
> me to what heap thrashing looks like?

> Is heap thrashing a very "closely spaced" saw tooth pattern?

Should have mentioned that "heap thrashing" does not have a strict definition.  Often, it's
used to describe the heap itself expanding and contracting in a cyclic manner.  This is most
easily avoided by setting the min and max heap size limits to the same value.

What you have appears to be just very rapid object creation and garbage collection.  Using
a larger heap (if you have the RAM for it) could help to reduce the frequency of collections.
 Fixing the webapp to not consume so much space would be better, of course.

 - Chuck