tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Need help understanding support for Unix Domain Sockets in Tomcat 7.0.x
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2015 23:00:25 GMT

>>> Not sure on this, as AJP is quite handy. Expecialy load balancing
>>> java webapps and i find mod_jk quite good at this.
>
> Remember, it's not mod_jk doing the load-balancing, it's Apache httpd.
> mod_jk is simply providing the channel over which the proxying is
> being done.

I don't think that's true.

In the case of mod_proxy_ajp, it is mod_proxy and mod_proxy_balancer who do the
load-balancing.

But mod_proxy* are not used with mod_jk; it does its own balancing.

  In a thread on the dev list, I'm a little more defensive
> of AJP because of its ability to pass data out-of-band with respect to
> the tunneled HTTP message. There definitely is utility there.

+1.  Passing Apache httpd's "environment variables" for instance, becoming "request
attributes" in Tomcat.