tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Question on autoDeploy=true + editing conf/context.xml
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:16:00 GMT
On 15.09.2015 20:11, Felipe Jaekel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use parallel deployment, so I set *autoDeploy=true* to enable newer
> versions of webapps as as soon as they are deployed, but if I edit
> *conf/context.xml*, I'd like that Tomcat 7.0.62 did not restart
> automatically.
>
> Is it possible?

Just a comment from a not-Tomcat-developer :

According to a comment in the file (tomcat_dir)/conf/context.xml :

<!-- The contents of this file will be loaded for each web application -->

and it seems that this very file, is telling Tomcat which webapp resource to watch for
changes, in relation to the applications that may need to be reloaded/restarted :

So to me, it does make sense, if someone changes conf/context.xml, to restart the whole
Tomcat, to take into account such a possible change to the very thing that controls the
detection of a change in all applications.

Which is probably the basic reason why it is so. No ?

A further question would be : what is the "use case" for modifying the global
conf/context.xml while Tomcat is running ?