tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: heap thrashing
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 16:16:31 GMT
> From: Leo Donahue [mailto:donahulf2@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: heap thrashing

> > I see this topic come up from time to time on the list.  Can someone point
> > me to what heap thrashing looks like?

> > Is heap thrashing a very "closely spaced" saw tooth pattern?

Very often.

> This is about as close as I can find that is similar to what I'm seeing.

> http://i.stack.imgur.com/B9oPL.png

That is characteristic of something in the webapp consuming lots of short-lived objects (no
memory leak).  Without an actual heap analysis, you can't tell if it's a small number of large
objects or a large number of small ones.  Using a heap profiler should help find what's eating
the space.

 - Chuck