tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What API does the Tomcat DataSource Connection thread pool use to know a connection can be reused?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:30:02 GMT
On 17/08/2015 17:27, Wernersbach, Philip wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We are developing a JDBC driver that implements the JDBC API. Our
> driver works and we can use it in servlets, but Tomcat doesn’t seem
> to know that the connections in the thread pool can be reused, so
> after all of the connection slots in the thread pool are used, the
> servlets hang trying to get a connection.
>
> What API does the Tomcat DataSource Connection thread pool use to
> know a connection can be reused? This is an API question, but our
> specific version of Tomcat is 8.0.24.
>
> If this doesn’t belong in dev@tomcat.apache.org, then I apologize and
> please ignore. This question is half way between a regular user
> question and a dev question, so I sent to both lists.

Best to ask on the users list first. Folks generally find dev questions
on the users list less annoying than user questions on the dev list.

I'd say this is a users question.

When the connection is closed by the application code it is returned to
the pool. (Every JDBC pool implementation will work the same way.)

Mark