tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Preißer <kpreis...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Tomcat 8 jspx and HTML5
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2015 12:54:34 GMT
Hi Christopher,

Can you elaborate why you think this is a problem with browsers?

The W3 HTML5 specification says at section 4.11.1 [1] for the <script> element:

Tag omission in text/html:
    Neither tag is omissible

I read it so that when using HTML syntax (text/html), you cannot omit the end element of a
<script> tag. Section 8.1.2 (Elements) [2] also doesn't seem to allow a self-closing
tag for <script> elements.

However, you can use the XML syntax instead the HTML syntax for serializing HTML5, which means
using a Content-Type of "application/xhtml+xml". When using this content type, a browser supporting
HTML5 (including IE 9+) will use an XML parser, so a syntax like <script /> will work
on such documents.

(The problem with XML syntax however is that there are some JavaScript libraries that don't
seem to be aware that there's an XML syntax of HTML5 and will not work correctly, e.g. jQuery
Mobile up to version 1.4.5.)

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/scripting-1.html#the-script-element