tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "RAY, DAVID" <DAVID....@tccd.edu>
Subject RE: AIX OS Patch Breaks Apache/Tomcat
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:49:52 GMT
>>Hello.
>>
>>I am running Apache 2.2.29 and Tomcat 7.0.59 with tomcat connector(mod_jk) version
1.2.40 on AIX version 7.1 server.  Started having problems this morning after AIX OS was patched
to AIX 7.1 TL 03 SP 04  and openssh to >>6.0.0.6108.  WebAdvisor runs fine immediately
after apache is started or restarted.  However its response slowing down.  AIX server CPU
steadily increases and approaches 100% after running for 5 or 10 minutes under heavy >>load..
 Seeing http process accumulate.  Not seeing much traffic at all in Tomcat server status.
 Recompiled apache, tomcat connector, and Tomcat native.  Still no luck.  Later determined
there is a bug with openssh >>6.0.0.6.108 >and tried 6.0.0.6109.  Recompiled again.
 Still no improvement.  Just booted from Clone backup taken before the AIX patch and everything
 runs fine, no problems.  Anyone else have this experience with AIX >>patches/updates?
 Not really much to see in error logs.  Tomcat is configured to run with java6 32 bit:

>>IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 AIX ppc-32 jvmap3260sr16-20141216_227499
(JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
>>J9VM - 20141216_227499
>>JIT  - r9_20140523_64469ifx3
>>GC   - GA24_Java6_SR16_20141216_1020_B227499)
>>JCL  - 20141216_01
>>

>>Thank you.
>>David
>
>Just an update on this problem. Now this appears to be an issue meant for the Apache list,
which I just sent this to.

>We have determined that that this problem is triggered by Apache server-status.   I have
always used server-status to monitor our production system, no problem. I rarely use server-status
to monitor our test system because >there is nothing to see there due to extremely light
traffic.  But after the AIX patch, server-status gradually causes the sever CPU to be maxed
out.  This problem was just duplicated on our test server.  The CPU drops back to >normal
for that server when server-status is stopped.  Example of server-status URL I use in my IE
11 browser:  https://website.com/server-status?refresh=5

>Has anyone else had this experience?  I guess for now, I will just have to stop using
server-status to monitor Apache so that we can patch our AIX system.

RESOLVED:

Solved this problem by downloading and compiling the latest openssl, currently 1.0.2c, from
openssl.org.  Recompiled Apache with openssl 1.0.2c.  Recompiled Tomcat Connector and Tomcat
Native too just to make sure all bases are covered.  I'm guessing that the problem was caused
by the AIX 7.1 TL 03 SP 04 update patching  the server openssl.  This triggered the Apache
server-status/mod_status high CPU usage issue when used to monitor our https site.

David