tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CATALINA_BASE/lib on tomcat6 (RHEL6)
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 19:42:59 GMT
> Hi,
>
> I am running RHEL6's distribution of Tomcat (tomcat6-6.0.24-80.el6.x86_64).  I'm trying
to provision multiple Tomcat instances on the same server.  The 'RUNNING' [1] doc states that
JAR libraries should be loaded from both $CATALINA_HOME/lib and $CATALINA_BASE/lib (with BASE
being preferred).  However, in our testing, only JARs from $CATALINA_HOME/lib (/usr/share/tomcat6/lib
on RHEL6) are being loaded.  JARs in $CATALINA_BASE/lib are not being loaded at all.

> CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE are set properly in the script that starts Tomcat.  I
have also verified that my catalina.properties file specifies both:

> common.loader=${catalina.base}/lib,${catalina.base}/lib/*.jar,${catalina.home}/lib,${catalina.home}/lib/*.jar
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on why JARs in $CATALINA_BASE/lib are not being loaded?
>
> [1] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/RUNNING.txt

The online documentation is for the current version of Tomcat.  For
Tomcat 6 that is 6.0.44.

Maybe that is not your configuration file.  Maybe your jar file is not readable.

Note that all values from catalina.properties file are exposed as
system properties.
You may try the following JSP page to display the values:

[[[
<%@page contentType="text/plain;charset=UTF-8" %>
common.loader: <%= System.getProperty("common.loader") %>
catalina.home: <%= System.getProperty("catalina.home") %>
catalina.base: <%= System.getProperty("catalina.base") %>
]]]

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko