tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat unaware that connection has been dropped
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:17:57 GMT
Tecno Brain wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> These files can be huge (for a few of my clients). It can take more than an
> hour for the entire file to be generated.

Then you also have to take into account that when the browser issues a request to the
server, it expects *some* answer within a maximum of about 5 minutes maximum.  If it
doesn't get that, the browser will drop the connection and display a message like "the
server is not responding"...

> I just didn't want to save them. I was expecting that if the file was too
> big, the process would just be aborted. As it is now, my webapp keeps
> working eventhough no browser is receiving the data.
> I guess I will have to save them (In S3) an notify my client via e-mail
> when the file is available.

I am not even sure that in such a case, having the file be generated by a webserver webapp

is the best design.  It means that when the browser issues such a request, one of the
webserver's threads/children is busy with that request for a very extended period of time,

unable to do anything else.  That looks like an ideal case for a Denial of Service e.g.

You may want to re-examine the whole principle of this thing.
In some restaurants, if you want some special dish that take a long time to prepare, you
have to order it in advance; you can't just walk in and order it from the menu.