tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian <cm...@famiru.de>
Subject Re: Distinct servlets for different domains in one web application
Date Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:14:14 GMT
Mark,

On 28.06.2015 19:58, Mark Eggers wrote:

> Christian,
>
> On 6/28/2015 9:01 AM, Christian wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> is it somehow possible to create a web application with multiple
>> servlets that are registered to different domains for the same url
>> paths using tomcat 8? I already crawled through the catalina code
>> that is responsible for the servlet selection and didn't find
>> anything that would allow this. But this doesn't mean that it
>> isn't possible at all. As far as I know, java configuration for
>> servlet registration doesn't allow passing domain names. But maybe
>> there is an option within context.xml.
>>
>> I want to create a web application that has different domains for
>> the application itself and its management site. Both parts should
>> run at the context root, at different domains. The application
>> needs a shared (spring-)context in which the application's beans
>> are stored.
>>
>> Regards, Christian
> I'm not quite sure what your after. Sharing Spring beans across
> contexts and domains sounds like there's an underlying requirement I
> don't understand.

ok, I'll try to explain, as aliases won't do what I need.
It's an application that can be configured via an admin interface. The
admin interface is one part of the webapp.
The main application is accessible via www.example.com. The admin
interface needs access to the beans within the main application (e. g.
to create tenants that live in context scope), that's why I created just
one webapp with two dispatcher servlets.
One dispatcher servlet is responsible for the admin interface and one
for the main application. Until now I make tomcat select them by using a
context path for the admin interface.
But this is redundant, because the admin interface needs to be accessed
via admin.example.com/admin instead of just admin.example.com. I would
like to map admin.example.com to the admin servlet and www.example.com
to the main applications dispatcher servlet.
At a later stage, www.example.com/admin might be used for other admin
tasks that must be accessible by users registered on the main site. But
/admin is already shadowed.

Hopefully I could explain my problem a little better.

Regards,
Christian