tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: jar files - where - please explain
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 13:52:12 GMT
On 6/2/2015 9:11 AM, Ray Holme wrote:
> Currently using apache-tomcat-7.0.35. Not sure that matters as no behavior has changed
in prior releases.

It does matter, because the directory layouts have changed in the
various major versions.

>       On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:56 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>

>   On 02/06/2015 12:42, Ray Holme wrote:
>> I have been using tomcat for a while and have several applications. Some jar files
are specific to an application and make sense to be in .../webapps/APPLICATION/WEB-INF/lib
and some are used in multiple applications so they need to appear in each applications lib.
One shared jar file is my own common code, but then there are many things that are pulled
from the net (e.g. mail.jar). In addition I put one jar file in the top tomcate ../lib directory
as it is used by everything for DB access (jaybird...jar in my case.
>> Since I use Linux, ALL of these extra jar files are maintained somewhere else (same
linux file system required) and I hard link them to the above named places so I don't need
multiple copies and one update serves all (with a web restart, natch).
>> So, here are my questions: 1) Is there any reason why the SQL library (jaybird above)
needs to be in the .../lib (top tomcat directory) or could it be in the WEB-INF/lib directory
too? If the latter is OK, then it becomes part of the WAR file when I distribute and thus
saves an extra step when this jar updates. Also, by putting it (logically) there in the application
lib(s), it evokes more security if I understand the purpose of doing this (see next question).
>> 2) Could I also put my own common jar file in the top tomcat .../lib directory? I
am confident that it does NOT have insecure code so logic says it could be there, but having
it in the WAR file might be a better option anyway as I do add things to it. In other words,
if I were confident in the source for say mail.jar and knew it was secure, it too could be
in the top directory (with the caveat that it no longer is in the WAR file).
>> Question 1 would be useful as it makes distributions more easy and totally effective
if all can be in the WAR file. Question 2 is just for me to understand better how tomcat works
- I don't think I want to move the application jars to the tomcat lib.