tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Neven Cvetkovic <neven.cvetko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcats warning message about APR library
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:30:39 GMT
Hey Emir,

I've done a little test on my Ubuntu VM. Read below my additional comments:

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Neven Cvetkovic <neven.cvetkovic@gmail.com>
wrote:

> You have two choices:
>
> 1) Find a specific package that includes the required packages, e.g.
> apt-get install libapr1 libapr1-dev
> apt-get install libtcnative-1
>
> (I have not tested these, you need to look through the packages and find
> out exactly which one you need)

If you decide with option (1), you could install libtcnative-1, and that
will install the following files for you:

$ dpkg --listfiles libtcnative-1
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libtcnative-1
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libtcnative-1
/usr/share/doc/libtcnative-1/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libtcnative-1/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/libtcnative-1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/tcnative-1.pc
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtcnative-1.a
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtcnative-1.so.0.1.29
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtcnative-1.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtcnative-1.so

Notice the version number is x.1.29

After adding /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, your Tomcat
will be able to find the libtcnative-1 libraries on the the library path
(java.library.path).

If you try using this package with the latest Tomcat 8.0.20 - you will run
into a problem of incompatible libraries, e.g.

SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.init An
incompatible version 1.1.29 of the APR based Apache Tomcat Native library
is installed, while Tomcat requires version 1.1.32

Notice the latest Tomcat 8.0.20  requires version 1.1.32.

So, the (apt-get installed) TCNATIVE shared library was found on the
library path, but it was incompatible version, and Tomcat would not start
APR-based connectors, but rather revert to default (NIO for Tomcat8, BIO
for Tomcat7).

Which brings my original point - I prefer to compile my own TCNATIVE
(APR-based) libraries to using the vendor packaged libraries (CentOS yum or
Ubuntu apt-get).

It takes time for vendor to package and distribute a new release of
packaged software, so you might be better of recompiling these pieces
yourself.

How did you install tomcat8? Did you use apt-get package or did you
> download the standard ZIP/TAR package from Tomcat's page?
>
> Good luck!

Let us know if you need help compiling the native Tomcat connectors
(APR-based).

Cheers!
Neven