tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Franquemagne <emmanuel.franquema...@kelkoo.com>
Subject Is it possible to make Tomcat 6.0.24 to return 50x code when webapp not started?
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:41:46 GMT
Hello,

Here is the description of my problem: I have a REST webservice hosted in a tomcat instance
and which is accessed by automated processes; these processes request information about business
objects and take decision accordingly.
Especially, when business object isn't available, the webservice returns http code 404.

Our problem is that Tomcat also returns 404 when the webservice isn't started. It is fine
from Tomcat point of view, but not from client application pov: in this context, it is "normal"
to get a "resource not found" which has an applicative meaning, but from client side point
of view, down webapp is a internal ws error, and should be returned 50x code (500, 501, 503...).
And client must make difference between "business object unknown" and "application unavailable".

So my question is: is it possible to force Tomcat to return *50x* code if a webapp it hosts
is not started (or crashed or so), and let *applicative 404* go to client? I've searched the
Web to see if other REST webapp developers had this issue, but found nothing. I may also have
misread tomcat manuel, but didn't find an answer to my question.

My Tomcat version is 6.0.24

Thanks is advance,
Emmanuel

Kelkoo SAS
Société par Actions Simplifiée
Au capital de € 4.168.964,30
Siège social : 158 Ter Rue du Temple 75003 Paris
425 093 069 RCS Paris

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'attention exclusive
de leurs destinataires. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire
et d'en avertir l'expéditeur.