tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help! Tomcat crashing on takeoff
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2014 23:43:36 GMT

> EBCDIC can certainly be confusing things, here.

I wonder - can you verify that conf/catalina.properties  file can be
read with a simple Java program?

Essentially Tomcat does the following:
in org/apache/catalina/startup/CatalinaProperties.java

                File home = new File(getCatalinaBase());
                File conf = new File(home, "conf");
                File propsFile = new File(conf, "catalina.properties");
                InputStream is = new FileInputStream(propsFile);

                properties.load(is);

Then if you print out the value of  properties.get("common.loader")
it shall be non-empty.

I think that Tomcat can read the file (otherwise you would have seen
an exception of a "Failed to load catalina.properties" warning), but
maybe it has trouble parsing it as a "properties" file.  Maybe the
whole contents is interpreted as one line and provides no value for
"common.loader".

The *.loader properties are allowed to be empty, so there will be no
warning if one is missing.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko