tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue <donahu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: throttle filter
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 22:12:21 GMT
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Chris Gamache <cgamache@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could probably be more sophisticated in your
> throttling, letting certain IPs or requests through while tarpitting
> others.
>
> I was thinking about how, from my perspective, I see developers wanting to
throttle back the number of requests to their web applications (and web
services) based on the same ip, session, and other factors appearing in a
given amount of time.

I know that some frameworks (Spring) provide this mechanism, and I have
seen other projects attempt to record the information in a database and
produce application specific logic to restrict the number of requests in a
given amount of time.

I didn't know if anyone has considered a container provided filter that is
configurable to provide this kind of functionality.  "This kind of
functionality" is ambiguous I know.  But I would settle on even the basic
ability to say:  For this web service/app, allow only x many connections
per sec/min/hour.

Leo