tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: REST call failure on newer tomcat version/update
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2014 00:01:21 GMT
Sean Dawson wrote:
> Will go through and make more changes, but it looks like simply not copying
> over the Transfer-Encoding header in the proxy enables things to work with
> 53.
>
> Thank you very much to everyone for your time and effort and assistance.
>
> Is there a clear/concise document on what to do / not do when it comes to
> proxying requests, or is it always best to read all the related rfc's ?
>
> Someone else (who is no longer here) wrote the proxy, and I'd like to make
> sure we're doing all the right things going forward.
>
> Regards and Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays to you too.

As you have just discovered, writing a generic Proxy correctly is not a trivial
enterprise, except in some very simple scenarios (like yours so far; and even then, as you

have seen).
I do not believe that there exists a real tutorial about how to do that.

Tomcat itself - the last time I looked - does not contain any such Proxy capabilities.

There are a number of open-source "proxy servlets" available from third-parties, if you
search Google for "java proxy servlet" e.g.
There is even a Tomcat WiKi article on the subject, mentioning some.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/ServletProxy

Note that what we still do not know here, is why you need this proxy servlet at all in
your Tomcat.  Apart from just proxying back and forth, is your Tomcat proxy servlet
actually supposed to modify either the request of the response, with something that only a

Tomcat-based webapp would know how to do ?
And if not, why do you not use another webserver for that, such as Apache httpd, which
does contain well-written and well-tested proxy code ?
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html)