tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James H. H. Lampert" <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>
Subject Re: Help! Tomcat crashing on takeoff
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 21:42:07 GMT

and on the Java400 list at Midrange.com, Marshall Dunbar wrote:

> In my experience, if you just loaded a new JDK and have not loaded the
> java group PTF, java may have ³unpredictable results².  I bet things will
> magically work as soon as the java group PTF is loaded.

Just got word that the customer had successfully loaded the PTF, but
there's no change at all in the behavior. The CATALINA job still crashes
on takeoff (albeit with a message that it had completed normally), the
spool file from STDOUT shows

> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /wintouch/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /wintouch/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /wintouch/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:        /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit
> Using CLASSPATH:       /wintouch/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/wintouch/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
> Tomcat started.

(which exactly matches what it says on our own box, on which Tomcat
works just fine), and catalina.out shows:

> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
>  at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:419)
>  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:643)
>  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:609)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:235)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

If I do "/wintouch/tomcat/bin/startup.sh" from an interactive QSHELL
session (after my STRTOMCAT CL program had already set the environment
variable to select the correct JVM), I get the same STDOUT as before.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure they actually DID install any Java
PTFs. Their latest 5761JV1 PTF is dated November of 2013. On the one
hand, that's a good deal more recent than the latest one on our system;
on the other hand, it's over a year ago, and a Google search shows PTFs
for 5761JV1 that are as recent as less than a WEEK ago.

--
JHHL