tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat on windows 2012 weirdness
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:21:36 GMT
Cris Berneburg - US wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I'm having trouble with my JSP web app using Tomcat 6 and 7 on Windows Server 2012.
>
> The issue is that no matter what file I request in the browser URL, it always returns
the app welcome file, that is, the login page.  Even when requesting an image.  The one exception
is that after logging in, the main menu page appears, but none of the graphics or CSS files
load.  Clicking on the app links, it just brings up the welcome page again.  Checking the
Tomcat log files, I see that Tomcat is returning the welcome page instead of the files requested
in the main menu page.

> Using the Tomcat manager, I see that my application has a ridiculous number of sessions,
instead of just one.  I interpret that for every single file requested, a new Tomcat session
is being generated and possibly invalidated..

> FYI, using the same setup on Windows Server 2003 and 2008 works fine.  Opening the same
firewall ports on all three OS's has been done.  Even disabling the firewall on 2012 does
not affect the issue in any way.  And to make things even weirder, accessing the application
from a browser on the server itself using localhost works fine!

> I wonder if there is some mystery setting somewhere that is crippling the app.  Got any
suggestions?  Please help.  Thanks!

Without realling getting to the bottom of it, the way you describe it sounds like an
authentication problem, where a bunch of near simultaneous requests to the server (for
embedded images, css, etc.) all hit some "not yet authenticated" condition, and all
together (or rather each separately) return a 401 or similar (or a login page instead of a

requested image e.g.).

Maybe there is something new in that respect with Windows Server 2012, which your
application's authentication framework does not handle well ?
(or the structure of your application).
(e.g. the login page itself contains references to images and css which themselves are in

a protected area and so on).