tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jim Anderson <>
Subject Re: My problem: I cannot successfully get or set a session attribute from a JSP file.
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2014 21:31:03 GMT

Please make note that I do not see errors in the brower window, but in 
the brower console window.
If I have time later, I will create an error in my 's.jsp' server code 
and verify that an error is
reported in the console.

Jim A.

On 12/08/2014 04:17 PM, David kerber wrote:
> On 12/8/2014 4:04 PM, Jim Anderson wrote:
>> David,
>> I have to question your response. In the past, I have made errors in the
>> serverside JSP file and the console has identified errors for me to the
>> point were I have become dependent this feedback.
>> I understand the separation of the client side vs the server side,
>> (and I must confess that sometimes in the middle of debugging, I forget
>> that it is there),
>> but my assumption has been that when the JSP code is compiled by the
>> tomcat environment, it gets sent errors back through the Firefox API
>> that allows the errors to  be displayed in the console.
>> I don't know the Firefox API, but I can believe it has hooks in the
>> brower code that allows an application such as Tomcat to post
>> information into the console. If fact, I would expect the browser
>> console to have that kind of hook.
> Hmm, I've never seen anything like that.  The only time I see server 
> errors in the browser is when the server sends them as part of its 
> HTTP response.  If the error output is swallowed on the server end and 
> never makes it to the browser, the browser does not display anything.
> I could certainly be missing something here, though...
>> Jim
>> On 12/08/2014 03:54 PM, David kerber wrote:
>>> On 12/8/2014 3:49 PM, Jim Anderson wrote:
>>>> Resolved!
>>>> I apologize to everyone for taking a while to respond. It was a busy
>>>> weekend and I was not at
>>>> the computer. Thank you all for the responses.
>>>> I read your emails about a half hour ago and ran my application to get
>>>> fresh log files and to
>>>> check them all. Sure enough in the log file, 
>>>> 'localhost.2014-12-08.log',
>>>> I found an error message
>>>> about the java code in my 's.jsp' file. I fixed the error and all is
>>>> well now. I thought that I looked
>>>> at this file the other day before sending in my question to the 
>>>> mailing
>>>> list and I did not see the error messages then. I am going to guess 
>>>> that
>>>> I am in error and the I did not actually look at the file, although I
>>>> know I looked at most of the log files in the tomcat/logs directory.
>>>> I was curious why the error did not show up in my firefox browser
>>>> console, so I removed my fix and re-ran my application with the 
>>>> error in
>>>> it. Sure enough, the error did not show up on the console.
>>> The reason it doesn't show up in your browser is that it's happening
>>> on the server, not the client.  So the browser never knows that there
>>> is an error.
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> For additional commands, e-mail:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message