tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: My problem: I cannot successfully get or set a session attribute from a JSP file.
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2014 21:17:58 GMT
On 12/8/2014 4:04 PM, Jim Anderson wrote:

> David,
>
> I have to question your response. In the past, I have made errors in the
> serverside JSP file and the console has identified errors for me to the
> point were I have become dependent this feedback.
>
> I understand the separation of the client side vs the server side,
> (and I must confess that sometimes in the middle of debugging, I forget
> that it is there),
> but my assumption has been that when the JSP code is compiled by the
> tomcat environment, it gets sent errors back through the Firefox API
> that allows the errors to  be displayed in the console.
>
> I don't know the Firefox API, but I can believe it has hooks in the
> brower code that allows an application such as Tomcat to post
> information into the console. If fact, I would expect the browser
> console to have that kind of hook.

Hmm, I've never seen anything like that.  The only time I see server
errors in the browser is when the server sends them as part of its HTTP
response.  If the error output is swallowed on the server end and never
makes it to the browser, the browser does not display anything.

I could certainly be missing something here, though...