tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nick Wall <Nick.W...@mvtcanada.com>
Subject RE: Moving tomcat Ver 6.0
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 23:17:36 GMT
Thanks all so far I will take a look at this again tomorrow and see what I can figure out
Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Donahue [mailto:donahulf2@gmail.com]
Sent: November-05-14 1:31 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Moving tomcat Ver 6.0

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Nick Wall <Nick.Wall@mvtcanada.com> wrote:

> [...]

Generic steps:

First step would be to decide whether you want to deploy a 32bit or 64bit version of Tomcat.

1.  Download the latest Tomcat (32bit or 64bit, your decision) 1.b  Determine whether you
want to download the zip or windows installer version of that architecture.  In your case,
probably the later.
2.  Download the latest java sdk (same architecture as you picked above).
3.  Install the java sdk, set the %JAVA_HOME% system environment variable.
if you need help, ask.
4.  Install Tomcat using the windows service installer.  If you used a specific windows user
account to run the previous service, make sure you set that in in the service properties.
5.  In your previous Tomcat installation, you need to take note of all of the settings and
apply them to your new install.  This is the hard part.
You will want to compare the following files in the old and new installs:

tomcat-install-directory/conf:

context.xml
server.xml
tomcat-users.xml
web.xml

tomcat-install-directory/bin  run tomcat6w.exe you are looking for any custom settings for
memory and other options...
(trying to recall the exact names of the tabs at the moment, where I am now we block Tomcat
because we use a different web server, can't even install it here.. sorry list)

6.  Copy your webapps from the Tomcat6 webapps dir to Tomcat8 web apps dir.  I would also
investigate any custom settings to the webapps/manager/META-INF/context.xml in the previous
Tomcat6.  You don't know if there was a custom valve or something applied in there other than
the default.

6.b  (Optional) Get rid of the docs and examples directories in your new Tomcat, or move them
somewhere else if you want to keep them.

7.  Make sure you copy the old ROOT web app directory to the new Tomcat.

8.  Hard to say, but you might also have had custom jar files in the
previous tomcat6-install-directory/lib   Only way to know is to compare
what was in there.

This sucks that you have no documentation on the previous install, makes your life a little
harder.  I'm sure others will chime in with things I have forgotten.

leo