tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Debugging a Webapp in Eclipse running Tomcat as a stand-alone JVM process
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:03:13 GMT

Léa,

On 11/20/2014 7:24 AM, Léa Massiot wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
>
>> Konstantin Kolinko wrote: Why do you need the ports to be 80 and
>> 443? (You cannot open those on Linux unless you are a root). You
>> can a) change the port numbers in your configuration b) use
>> firewall (iptables) to map different local ports to those
>> external ones
>> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_privileges.3F
>

> Well, apparently, according to the author of this article, I chose
> the best method (JSVC)! But thank you very much for pointing me
> towards this article and this FAQ which looks very interesting,
> full of interesting questions (and answers). Indeed the iptables
> solution looks attracting. I chose JSVC because I wanted Tomcat to
> be started at boot time and, if I'm not mistaken, this is root who
> runs the "/etc/init.d/" scripts including the "/etc/init.d/tomcat7"
> script... but I needed Tomcat to be run as a non-root user etc.
> etc.
>
>> Konstantin Kolinko wrote: Also,
>> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix#Q5
>
> That's exactly what I did and I did it for exactly the same reasons
> given in this article. I didn't install the Tomcat Debian package.
> I'm glad I did right.
>
> Best regards.

On my Linux development machines where I also run a Tomcat at boot
time, I just use different ports.

I have a requirement to use Apache HTTPD in front of Tomcat, so that
runs on ports 80/443. Tomcat is installed and run as a non-privileged
user and I normally use the default ports (unless I have multiple
Tomcat installations).

This means that my development Tomcat (run as me and controlled by
NetBeans) has to run on a different set of ports. This should be
possible with Eclipse as well. Just edit server.xml.

In short, don't use the Tomcat started by init (soon to be systemd)
for development work. Run one from your account and control it with
the IDE. This way you can restart it in debug mode, examine the logs
without becoming root, and bring the server up and down with no issues.

Once you are to a point in the development process where you want
others to test, you can deploy the WAR file to the Tomcat started
during boot time.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/

---