tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Windows Service won't start
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:05:47 GMT

> All,
>
> On 11/10/14 1:04 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> When a Tomcat Windows Service won't start (with the super-helpful
>> "a service-specific error occurred"), where can I look for
>> detailed information about what happened?
>>
>> (Please be kind, I'm not an everyday Windows administrator)
>>
>> I installed the service myself using a process almost exactly like
>> this:
>>
>> C:\> SET CATALINA_HOME=[path to Tomcat] C:\> SET
>> CATALINA_BASE=[path to my catalina.base] C:\> SET JAVA_HOME=[path
>> to Java] C:\> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service.bat install myproject
>>
>> I can see the Windows Service called "Apache Tomcat 7.0 myproject"
>> in the Services management console. Clicking "start" results in a
>> short wait and then the error about how the service itself had a
>> problem with no details.
>>
>>  From the CLI, running "net start myproject" yields a similar
>> error.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> So it looks like there is an architecture mismatch:
> tomcat7.exe/procrun is 64-bit and the JVM is 32-bit. We are replacing
> the JVM with a 64-bit one but I'm curious how to make Tomcat work on a
> 32-bit JVM on 64-bit Windows. I tried some Google searching and it was
> mostly people re-configuring the JAVA_HOME to point to a 64-bit JVM
> and not actually getting this to work.

IME you can install 32-bit TC on 64-bit windows as long as you have a
32-bit JVM installed.  But you may have to manually select the 32-bit
JVM rather than letting the installer use its defaults.  It's been a
year or so since I've done it, so I'm not 100% sure of the process.

> We installed from the ZIP package. Does the ZIP package always have
> 64-bit tomcat7.exe/procrun packaged with it? Any chance to get 32-bit
> binaries included as well?

I do know that I use the windows installer package, rather than the .zip
package for TC.