tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Trying to filter noise from catalina.out.
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 20:06:39 GMT
Am 05.11.2014 um 00:12 schrieb Brandon Darbro:
> Looking for configuration help.
>
> Using tomcat7 7.0.34 from rpm package tomcat7-7.0.34-3.jpp6.noarch.
>
> Followed the instructions for using log4j for catalina.out found here:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html#Using_Log4j
>
> Took the example log4j.properties file from the instructions above,
> corrected the logging paths for /var/log/tomcat7, and put it through a
> properties to xml converter.  Replaced log4j.properties with log4j.xml,
> and logging is working.
>
> Now we want to try and filter out an Exception we are willing to live
> with, but can't have overflowing our log.
>
> Added the following filter:
>      <filter class="org.apache.log4j.filter.ExpressionFilter">
>          <param name="expression" value="EXCEPTION ~=
> java.io.NotSerializableException" />
>          <param name="acceptOnMatch" value="false"/>
>      </filter>
>
> Yet we continue to get the exception in the log:
>
> Nov 4, 2014 1:52:45 PM
> net.sf.ehcache.distribution.RMISynchronousCacheReplicator
> replicatePutNotification
> SEVERE: Exception on replication of putNotification. error marshalling
> arguments; nested exception is:
>          java.io.NotSerializableException:
> com.fakename.services.cache.ehcache.EHCacheServiceImpl. Continuing...
> java.rmi.MarshalException: error marshalling arguments; nested exception
> is:
>          java.io.NotSerializableException:
> com.fakename.services.cache.ehcache.EHCacheServiceImpl
>          at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:138)
> ...snip...
> Caused by: java.io.NotSerializableException:
> com.fakename.services.cache.ehcache.EHCacheServiceImpl
>          at
> java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1164)
>          at
> java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:1518)
> ...snip...
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Full xml and/or log of error available if requested.

The formatting of this message looks like it is *not* written using
Log4J, but instead using java.util.logging. To rule out mail
reformatting: If the Date and timestamp is on one line, and the text
starting with "SEVERE" on the second line, then my guess is correct.

As others are indicating: these messages are not written by Tomcat, but
instead by your application, which seems to use java.util.logging, which
by default loggs to console = STDOUT which is redirected by Tomcat
catalina.sh script to catalina.out.

Regards,

Rainer