tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: From HTTP to HTTPS request.getHeader("referer")
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 00:40:58 GMT
On 11/4/2014 4:46 AM, Léa Massiot wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Terence M.  Bandoian wrote:
>> I'm not sure how you're using it but it's worth pointing out that
>> response.sendRedirect "Sends a temporary redirect response to the
>> client..."  The client (browser) must then send another request to the
>> server before any additional processing takes place.  In contrast,
>> pageContext.forward takes place entirely on the server.
> I didn't know that.
> I thought there was one HTTP(S) request and one HTTP(S) response only.
> How can the mechanism you describe above affect the use of HTTPS for a
> webapp with the "CONFIDENTIAL" security constraint on a standalone Tomcat
> server?
>
> I'm using "sendRedirect()" in a very straightforward way I think.
> I use some sort of "pipelines" for a subset "S" of JSPs in the webapp:
> 1) Given a JSP "s" in "S", it contains a "form" with an "action" attribute
> mapped via "web.xml" to a servlet L.
> 2) The servlet L  implements either a doPost() or (rarely) a doGet() method.
> 3) Given what was submitted via the form, "work" is performed in the
> servlet.
> 4) When the servlet work is done and depending on the result (success 1,
> ..., success n / error 1, ..., error n), the servlet redirects towards the
> next JSP using the method "sendRedirect()".
> Is there "a temporary redirect response to the client" in that case?
> Is this behavior documented somewhere? I could totally benefit from a good
> documentation...
>
> Best regards.

Hi, Léa-

You can find information about HttpServletResponse and PageContext in
the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages specifications which are available
on the Oracle web site.  JavaDocs are also available online.  Be sure to
reference the appropriate versions of the specs and JavaDocs for your
application.  Links to copies of the JavaDocs are available on the
Tomcat documentation pages:

     Tomcat 7 - https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/index.html
     Tomcat 8 - https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/index.html

The links are labeled "Servlet JavaDocs" and "JSP 2.x JavaDocs" in the
Reference section on the left.

-Terence Bandoian