tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Léa Massiot <lmhe...@orange.fr>
Subject Re: Debugging a Webapp in Eclipse running Tomcat as a stand-alone JVM process
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:24:36 GMT
Thank you for your answer.

> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Why do you need the ports to be 80 and 443? (You cannot open those on
> Linux unless you are a root).
> You can
> a) change the port numbers in your configuration
> b) use firewall (iptables) to map different local ports to those external
> ones
> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_privileges.3F

Well, apparently, according to the author of this article, I chose the best
method (JSVC)!
But thank you very much for pointing me towards this article and this FAQ
which looks very interesting, full of interesting questions (and answers).
Indeed the iptables solution looks attracting.
I chose JSVC because I wanted Tomcat to be started at boot time and,
if I'm not mistaken, this is root who runs the "/etc/init.d/" scripts
including the "/etc/init.d/tomcat7" script...
but I needed Tomcat to be run as a non-root user etc. etc.

> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Also,
> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix#Q5

That's exactly what I did and I did it for exactly the same reasons given in
this article.
I didn't install the Tomcat Debian package.
I'm glad I did right.

Best regards.