tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Léa Massiot <lmhe...@orange.fr>
Subject Re: Debugging a Webapp in Eclipse running Tomcat as a stand-alone JVM process
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:56:15 GMT
Thank you for your answer.

> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Deployment can be done from Ant or from Maven. There exists tools for
> that.

Ok, I understand.

> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> If you are developing your web application, is there a reason why you
> run Tomcat standalone and not from within Eclipse IDE?

Here is why.
On a Unix machine, I start Tomcat as a service, as a non-root user and via
JSVC. (This is the "as a non-root user" part which is important here for
me).
Below is what I tried.
First test:
- remove "/etc/init.d/tomcat7" from "/etc/init.d/" and reboot the machine so
that Tomcat is not automatically started at all (and so that I'm sure no
other process is using the TCP ports 80 and 443) ;
- run Eclipse as a non-root user ;
- add a "local" Tomcat server to the Eclipse workspace ;
- run a JSP on the server.
=> I get the error message:
"Several ports (443, 80) required by Tomcat v7.0 Server at localhost are
already in use. The server may already be running in another process, or a
system process may be using the port. To start this server you will need to
stop the other process or change the port number(s)."

Second test:
- run Eclipse as root ;
- run a JSP on the server.
=> There is no error message anymore.

BUT, I need to run Tomcat as a non-root user. In particular, I need it for
subsequent operations made via the webapps deployed on the Tomcat server
(for example: directories and files creations).

This is the reason why I wanted to "use" the standalone Tomcat that is
started via the "/etc/init.d/tomcat7" script.

Usually, on my Windows development machine, I do not have these kind of
issues.
This is why I normally and usually use the Tomcat running on the Eclipse
JVM.

Does it make any sense?
I wonder how people developing daily on a Unix machine do to debug their
webapps in Eclipse as a non-root user.
Maybe you do? I would totally be glad to know what is the usual practice.

Best regards.