tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Léa Massiot <lmhe...@orange.fr>
Subject Debugging a Webapp in Eclipse running Tomcat as a stand-alone JVM process
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:23:16 GMT
Hello and thank you for reading my post.

My problem is about debugging a Webapp in Eclipse running Tomcat as a
stand-alone JVM process.

-- In more details --
Below is what I would like to do:
- Start Tomcat:
  - on Windows: via "startup.bat" in a "cmd.exe" ;
  - on Unix (Debian Squeeze): via "JSVC" in a "/etc/init.d/tomcat7" script.
- Run Eclipse (Juno):
  as a non-root user (say "U").
- Debug a Webapp in Eclipse running Tomcat as a stand-alone JVM process
  (NOT running Tomcat from within the Eclipse JVM).

This article states that it is possible to do this:
http://blogs.mulesoft.org/debugging-your-tomcat-webapp-with-eclipse/
Excerpt:
"Once you have Tomcat running successfully as a separate process,
and your webapp happily running on it,
you can begin configuring remote debugging."

A) First of all, I do not manage to:
have Tomcat run successfully as a separate process,
and your webapp happily running on it
[in Eclipse (personal addition)].
Can you tell me what I have to do?
(I hope it doesn't mean putting a .war file in the Tomcat "webapps"
directory because I know how to do that already).

B) Second of all.
As for the debugging part, below is what I did so far:
1) In "startup.bat", I added the two lines:
   set "JPDA_ADDRESS=8000"
   set "JPDA_TRANSPORT=dt_socket"
   I modified the line:
   call "%EXECUTABLE%" jpda start %CMD_LINE_ARGS%
   Below is the "startup.bat" that I have presently:
	@echo off
	rem
	rem Start script for the CATALINA Server
	rem

	setlocal

	rem Guess CATALINA_HOME if not defined
	set "CURRENT_DIR=%cd%"
	if not "%CATALINA_HOME%" == "" goto gotHome
	set "CATALINA_HOME=%CURRENT_DIR%"
	if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome
	cd ..
	set "CATALINA_HOME=%cd%"
	cd "%CURRENT_DIR%"
	:gotHome
	if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome
	echo The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
	echo This environment variable is needed to run this program
	goto end
	:okHome

	set "JPDA_ADDRESS=8000"
	set "JPDA_TRANSPORT=dt_socket"

	set "EXECUTABLE=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat"

	rem Check that target executable exists
	if exist "%EXECUTABLE%" goto okExec
	echo Cannot find "%EXECUTABLE%"
	echo This file is needed to run this program
	goto end
	:okExec

	rem Get remaining unshifted command line arguments and save them in the
	set CMD_LINE_ARGS=
	:setArgs
	if ""%1""=="""" goto doneSetArgs
	set CMD_LINE_ARGS=%CMD_LINE_ARGS% %1
	shift
	goto setArgs
	:doneSetArgs

	call "%EXECUTABLE%" jpda start %CMD_LINE_ARGS%

	:end
2) In Eclipse, I went to the menu "Run -> Debug Configurations... -> Remote
Java Application"
    I entered the following values:

         Name: ExternalTomcat
	 Project: webapp_pjt1
	 Connection type: Standard (Socket Attach)
	 Host: localhost
	 Port: 8000

    I clicked the buttons "Apply" and then "Debug".
3) I set a breakpoint somewhere relevant in the Webapp code.
4) I tried to send an HTTP request to the Tomcat server:
    I entered https://localhost/webapp_pjt1/welcome.jsp in a browser (NOT
the Eclipse internal browser).
    I got a HTTP 404 error.

Can you see what I'm doing wrong?