tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: a problem: tomcat exits unexpectedly
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 07:20:44 GMT
bo zhao wrote:
> Warnier,
>     Thank you for your reply.
>
>     AbstractScheduleTaskProcess class use the ExecutorService to create
> thread and runs some custom tasks. These tasks will be done in a few
> seconds. Sample code is following:
>
>    for (final List<T> list : lists) {
>             executor.submit(new Callable<Object>() {
>                 @Override
>                 public Object call() throws Exception {
>                     try {
>                         executeTasks(list);
>
>     But I don't think that this class causes the serious prolbem. the max
> size of "lists" is 4 -- that is a parameter of application.
>
>     In our server, we have 12 tomcat instances that run the different
> application, but the default value of os parameter(open files and max
> processes) is 1024, at first, I modified these value to 65535. but some of
> these instance had still exited unexpectedly, I has found the same things
> in these log:  pause, reinit, stop. So I think that the os resource limit
> maybe cause all of these, especially the parameter of the "open files".
>
>     I don't know well the tomcat, so I maybe has not found the key cause
> and I expect your reply.

In such circumstances, you can (probably) consider Tomcat as "just a process" like any
other.  It looks like something in that process is holding on to a lot of open files/sockets.
The Linux utility "lsof" provides (among a zillion other things) a good way to list all
the files/sockets linked to one process.
Try it for one of your Tomcat instances, and probably the names of these files/sockets
will give you a hint.