tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anthony Bungeroth <anth...@blumetech.com>
Subject Tomcat Start script not starting from init.d or rc.local
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:33:50 GMT

I basically need a script to run automatically when I reboot the server.
I have tried the various ways to get it to work in init.d and it's not working.  When I go
into init.d and run it manually it works though.

I think it has something to do with the fact that to run the script manually I am logged in
as root, whereas for it to run automatically it has to run in the background.

I will include the script info in this email and see if you had an idea as to where the issue
is.

So in /etc/init.d, there is a script called Tomcat, here is the "start" portion of the script.
 Once again, when I run this manually while logged in as root it launches.

#!/bin/sh
# Apache Tomcat Startup Script
# chkconfig 234 20 80

JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.0_45
CATALINA_HOME=/opt/tomcat
TOMCAT_USER=tomcat

start() {
        echo -n "Starting Tomcat:  "
        su $TOMCAT_USER $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
        sleep 2
}

I tried creating a new script and putting that one in "rc.local".
Here is the "rc.local" command:

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

su tomcat /opt/tomcat/bin/startup.sh

This is a total rookie issue I am sure....but just in case you might be able to help with
an easy enough fix, I would greatly appreciate it.  I don't even know where to look for error
logs to troubleshoot this.
Thanks for any assistance.
Anthony
________________________________
Anthony Bungeroth
Systems Engineer

p: 347-762-5863 (347-76 BLUME)
f: 419-831-5614
e: anthony@blumetech.com
Our Blog<http://blogs.blumetech.com/>
[blumetech]
<http://www.blumetech.com>
<http://www.blumetech.com>[blumetech]
<http://www.aws-partner-directory.com/PartnerDirectory/PartnerDetail?Name=Blume+Technical+Consulting>
<http://www.aws-partner-directory.com/PartnerDirectory/PartnerDetail?Name=Blume+Technical+Consulting>

in error, you are directed not to read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise
use this transmission, and we also request that you immediately delete this message and its
attachments, if any. Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient(s)
is not intended in any way to waive privilege or confidentiality. Finally, the recipient should
check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses; Blumetech accepts no liability