tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alexandre Garnier <zigarn+apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Behaviour when updating WAR with exploded dir when Tomcat is stopped
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:30:59 GMT
> On 19/08/2014 10:50, Alexandre Garnier wrote:
>> On tomcat7 and tomcat8, documentation about deployment on Tomcat
>> startup <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/deployer-howto.html#Deployment_on_Tomcat_startup>
>> says:
>>
>>> The following deployment sequence will occur on Tomcat startup in that case:
>>>
>>> 1. Any Context Descriptors will be deployed first.
>>> 2. Exploded web applications not referenced by any Context Descriptor will then
be deployed. If they have an associated .WAR file in the appBase and it is newer than the
exploded web application, the exploded directory will be removed and the webapp will be redeployed
from the .WAR
>>> 3. .WAR files will be deployed
>
> The bit in point 2 about the WAR file being newer than the exploded
> directory is not correct. On startup, Tomcat can't tell if a WAR is new
> or not. (This has been discussed previously - see the archives).
>
> It looks like that part of the docs needs to be updated.

OK, do I re-open the bug as a documentation fix or open a new bug?