tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Björn Raupach <raup...@me.com>
Subject Re: Stderr and Stdout Log Rotation on Tomcat 6.0 on Windows
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:36:32 GMT
Hi Kristof,

tell your developer to use a logging framework instead of System.out

You can't get rid of stoud and stderr log files, but they should be empty - most of the time.

cheers,
Björn

On 20 Aug 2014, at 13:51 , Kristof Can Bilen <cankristof@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’m running a Tomcat service on Windows and I’m having some minor issues with the
logging mechanism. I've been researching for weeks now, read every FAQ, user forum and article
but no one seems to have any clue on this.

> I use 64-bit Tomcat 6.0.39 as a Windows service on Windows 2008 R2 x64Standard.
>
> Tomcat keeps writing to the same stdout and stderr log files without any log rotation
until the service is restarted. Because of this, the stdout and stderr log files become quite
large in time and it becomes difficult to open/read logs. My aim is to never restart the Tomcat
service until it isreally necessary, so this makes log rotation quite crucial.

> The Tomcat process won’t release the log files until the Tomcat service is restarted.
I was unable to use 3rd party tools for logrotation as stdout and stderr files are locked
by the process.

> While this Tomcat log rotation is quite simple on Linux, there seems to be no simple
way to do it on Windows. I tried every command to force JULI to rotate these two files based
on size or date but it was fruitless. I tried to force Log4j to take over the logging mechanism
but stdout and stderr still seem to act on their own, probably due to Tomcat’s internal
mechanisms. Btw webapp application logs rotate just fine.

> Have you had any experience with stdout/stderr log rotation on Windows Tomcat? If you
have the time, it’d be great if you could share yourthoughts..