tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: question on different version of tomcat running on the same pc
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 22:18:57 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Neven Cvetkovic [mailto:neven.cvetkovic@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: question on different version of tomcat running on the same pc
>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> You deserve a medal for the clear and precise descriptions.  Would you consider adding
this to the Tomcat Wiki, perhaps on this page?
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#Installation

+1

Now all that's left to do is for someone to make a version of this that works for
installing and starting the same as Windows Services.

Despite what Christopher wrote - which is basically right - there is still some tricky
element there, in that you cannot set the "system-wide" environment variables JAVA_HOME,
CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE.  If you do, then each of the respective (tomcat6,
tomcat7, tomcat8) "service.bat" will use the set values, and never prompt for another.
I have not actually tested this scenario, but looking at the code of the "service.bat"
file, I believe that in case you install multiple Tomcat services, there is a potential
for misbehaving there (for example, it requires JAVA_HOME to be set, but which one ?).