tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory:PermGen with Tomcat App Server
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:30:56 GMT
On 18/08/2014 07:55, Thakkilapati, Nagaraja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a web application (XCP) which internally uses our java library implementaiton-dfc.jar
(the dfc.jar contains API's to access our Documentum functionality). This java library internally
uses timer threads which performs the activities need to be executed periodically and demon
threads for clean-up activities.

> We noticed the tomcat runs into OOM:PermGen issue when we use our web application which
uses the java library (dfc.jar API's) in the below use case:
> Use Case:
> 1.  Access a Documentum repository object (size will be in KB's) using the Documentum
web application-XCP.
> 2. Undeploy the web application and redeploy it.
> 3. Repeat step-1 and 2 couple of times, OOM:PermGen issue can be noticed.
>
> Trouble Shooting & Analysis Done:
>

> 1.       I have tried to comment out all the Timer and Demon threads in our java library
(i.e. inside dfc.jar) and tried to perform the use case mentioned above and still noticed
the issue with Tomcat App server.

> 2.       Attached the memory profiler to Tomcat  and tried to find the shortest GC path,
the profiler shows the shortest GC to Tomcat threads.

> 3.       Tried to reproduce the issue using other app servers like WAAS and was not able
to find any issues.

> It appears to me that this is an issue specific to Tomcat app server, can you please
let me know whether you have noticed the similar issues in the past and if yes, please specify
any workaround/fix available for the same?

Fix your broken web application.

http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2010-11-04-Memory-Leaks-60mins.pdf

Mark