tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problem with Transfer-Encoding
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 13:45:16 GMT
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> On 7/5/2014 6:36 PM, André Warnier wrote:
>>
>> I agree with André about the difficulties of debugging character encodings.
>> A couple of things you might check are the character encodings of the page
>> and the form.  The character encoding of the page may be set with the
>> Content-type meta tag:

> Setting explicit value for "content" attribute like that is risky. The
> value must match the Content-Type HTTP header produced by web server.
> If they do not match, some browsers ignore both and start guessing the
> encoding.
>
> I usually write it as
>
> <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>
> <META http-equiv="Content-type" content="<%=response.getContentType() %>">

Yes, this is why I requested from the OP that he verifies *in the browser*, what the
browser thinks the character set of the page is.
That is because browsers are inconsistent in interpreting server-sent responses.  Some
browsers will strictly respect what the server sends as a "Content-type" header (which,
according to the RFCs, they should do), but some will not (IE various versions over the
years are particular offenders in that respect).

By asking this, I was trying not to confuse the matter even further.
If the OP had answered and mentioned anything else than Unicode UTF-8, then that would
have been the trigger to dig deeper as to why this was the case.

It is often easy, and often tempting, to just provide a "recipe" that sems to work and
solves the immediate problem.
Unfortunately, such recipes then have a tendency to break down when conditions change
slightly, such as one user using a slightly different version of browser e.g.