tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Igal @ getRailo.org" <i...@getrailo.org>
Subject Re: Host appBase vs Context docBase
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2014 18:38:21 GMT
> What version of Tomcat are you using?
I've been using Tomcat 6 and 7 for a while, and now running Tomcat 8.

> it is recommended that <Context> elements not be placed directly in
> server.xml
I know, but it is much easier for me to edit a single file, server.xml
then deploy all the other files.  I'm looking to keep the deployment
process as simple as possible.

> you shouldn't need the empty directory. I've used an absolute path for
> the <Host> appBase attribute with relative paths for <Context> docBase
> attributes in Tomcat 6 and 7 without any problems.
when I try that then "webapps" is used by default.  if a request is made
for a file that exists in webapps, e.g. index.jsp and does not exist in
my application's folder, then it is served from webapps and I don't want
that.

> are you sure you want "/" for the <Context> path attribute in the
> first example above?
it was my understanding that "" and "/" are the same here.  "/" reads
more clearly to me as the "root" directory so I prefer to use that.

*after reading your email and testing it, however, I noticed that if I
omit the Host/appBase and use an empty-string for the
Context/docBase/path it works as intended, so maybe that's what I was
doing wrong?  is that the best practice?*

<Host name="Site1" unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="false">
   <Context path="" docBase="D:/www/site1" />
   <Context path="/virtualdir" docBase="D:/www/shared/virtualdir" />
</Host>

?

thank you both for your responses,

Igal